Generators are essential machines that generate power for the operation of different appliances. They come in handy in case of a power outage, which may occur for several reasons. They are also available in different sizes and use different fuel sources.
Generators can be placed in 2 broad categories: – Alternating current (AC) generators and Direct Current (DC) generators. This categorization is based on how they transmit the power they generate. However, all types of generators fall under either one of these categories of the best of machinery. We would not want to bore you with too many scientific details, but this article can provide more information for those interested.
Importance of Generators
As we mentioned, there are different types and sizes of gens, as they are also commonly called. These equipment are so important that every residence needs one apart from businesses. While business owners may require industrial or standby gens, a home can always make do with a portable generator.
This is because it does not require any professional skill to handle, and the initial purchase cost is reasonable or affordable. Additionally, all required with the portable generator is filling it with the type of fuel it uses. Then wheel it to wherever you want to use it and start it up. With that, you have a small power plant for electricity at your disposal.
Since these machines can be adapted to any electrical application, they provide a comfort level for your home in case of power outages. Business owners would not experience any downtime, meaning they can meet all their obligations, which translates to keeping customers happy and satisfied.
Generators disconnect the building where it is connected from the utility line once there is a power failure. This prevents electrical gadgets from being damage due to power spikes, surges, or blowouts. Overall, a generator would save the owner time, stress, and money due to all the benefits that it comes with.
Tips For DIY Maintenance Of A Portable Generator
We all know that every kind of equipment needs maintenance and servicing to last as long as possible. The same is true with these power-generating devices. So below are some tips to help homeowners to maintain theirs: –
Always Check the Oil
Make sure you check the state or volume of the oil in the device before each use. If you just got a new one, ensure that you pour out the oil in it and replace it with a fresh one after using it for 20 hours. This would help clear out the debris that got into it during those hours of first using it. Subsequently, ensure that the oil is changed not more than every 100 hours. And if it is used in an environment where it would pick up dirt faster, you carry out the change sooner than 100 hours.
Don’t Use Dirty Fuel
Store your fuel in containers approved by Occupational Health and Safety Administration (OSHA). This is so that it does not get dirty and damage your gen. Ensure that you gas up your generator so that the wind would not blow dust into the tank.
Always Check the Air Filter
Ensure that you always check the air filter and that it is in great condition. Just as with the oil, clean it after 100 hours of use and ensure that you change it monthly.
Keep the Engine clean
If you clean the engine regularly, you will remove every debris or dirt that would have damaged the machine. You would also notice when the machine needs servicing. Please do not use a pressure washer for this chore; it would damage the machine rather than clean it. Gently blow off debris and dust and use a degreasing product with a clean rag to wipe off the engine.
Check the Machine For Leakages
After you have cleaned out your machine, check it for leakage of any type. If you find any leakage, ensure that you tighten the part and replace it if that is not possible. As you tighten the part that’s leaking, ensure you tighten every moving part of the machine.
There are some other factors you should take care of and do, and they include the following: –
- Ensure you always check the spark when checking other parts and clean it. If any is damaged, replace it immediately.
- Always remove the debris on the fuel strainer and keep it clean. Also, do not forget to replace it if it tears.
- Ensure you carry out an annual inspection on your gen to ensure that every part is as it should be.
- Ensure that you store your generator well. Please read the user manual and follow its instructions for proper storage.
What a Generator Technician Should Be Able to Do for You
A few people are not inclined to DIY tasks around machinery. They would rather have professionals handle those tasks. If you are one of those, you might want to check out https://www.anserservice.ca/generator-maintenance-and-servicing/ for professional guidance.
There are a lot of advantages to using a professional service, and the following are some of the services that you can expect from them: –
- Troubleshoot – They would check your machine from top to bottom to find out anything wrong with it. Since they are highly trained for this task, you can be sure that they would find the problem and proffer the right solution promptly.
- Repair – It is not enough to diagnose a problem without treating it accurately. So, a well-trained professional would carry out satisfactory maintenance on your generator.
- Replacement of Parts – These professionals are also better positioned to get the right replacement parts and fix them accurately.
- Preventive Maintenance – This is a critical task because, as we all know, prevention is better than cure. When you have qualified technicians in charge of the routine maintenance of your generator, you can rest assured that they would catch any fault before it damages your equipment. They know what to check for and what to do per time to keep your generator in the best working state. This would also elongate the lifespan of your gen.