Due to the many underlying causes that influence our dependence on substances, no one-size-fits-all solution or drug addiction treatment can exist. There are several factors that medical professionals consider before choosing a treatment protocol for individuals. As these programs diversify, grow and evolve, individuals need to research and educate themselves regarding drug addiction treatment methodologies to keep all options open. Are you looking to choose a program for yourself or your loved one? If so, read on to learn more about drug addiction treatment protocols in 2021 and how to determine the best one.
What is the process of recovery?
Rehabilitation from addiction starts with ridding your body of harmful toxins through detoxification. Such processes provide individuals with an environment to manage their withdrawal symptoms through medical assistance. Detoxification helps flush substances and toxins out of our bodies while providing support to reduce the discomfort and pain caused by withdrawal reactions. However, recovery does not stop with flushing toxins out and is only the first step in overcoming an addiction. While such processes provide physical benefits, programs need to address the underlying behavioral and psychological problems that stem from addiction. Hence, most rehabilitation centers focus on group sessions, counselling, and therapy to help individuals rewire their mental state. Only such processes can help develop lasting behavioral changes that aid and support recovery. Hence, all such long-term recovery programs follow detoxification with a formal assessment.
How do short-term treatments help?
Not everyone has the time or money to stay in in-patient programs for extended periods. Hence, such individuals opt for short-term options that provide them with an environment to undergo medically assisted withdrawal. These centers usually offer programs that last between six to eight weeks, followed by outpatient treatment. The extended outpatient phase involves therapy and counselling sessions to help prevent relapse. They also encourage individuals to join self-help groups such as Alcoholics Anonymous and Narcotics Anonymous. While these programs can help individuals get rid of the toxins in their bodies, they require frequent and consistent engagement from patients to stay on track.
What are my long-term options?
Many individuals struggle with a severe addiction that requires help on a long-term basis. As a result, several facilities offer residential drug addiction treatment options that provide assisted living options. These centers provide individuals with round-the-clock access to medical guidance and intensive care. Though they occur in non-hospital settings, they use a therapeutic community model to tackle the issues that plague recovering addicts. Most of these facilities allow individuals to stay for anywhere between six to twelve months.
They primarily focus on the re-adaptation and resocialization of individuals by encouraging them to contribute to the community. Regular therapy sessions and group activities make it easier for these people to interact with others and grow as individuals. Since such centers look at addiction through an individual’s social and psychological context, they focus on rehabilitation and responsibility. As a result, they help teach individuals how to cope with their triggers, develop accountability and prevent relapse.
What do I do after completing an in-patient program?
While in-patient treatment options provide intensive care, they are not very flexible and require individuals to give up on their social commitments. Hence, such programs are not feasible in the long run for those engaged with work, education, or familial duties. Outpatient options help such individuals stay on the right track and combat triggers and other temptations to prevent relapse. They focus on providing the needed support to recovering addicts to ensure they have the required information and resources.
People also consider Individualized drug counselling, which helps them with several areas related to substance abuse. Rather than concentrating on reducing drug consumption, such programs shed light on what follows next, including employment, social connections, and education. They also provide more structure and content to a patient’s recovery, helping forge healthier and more sustainable behavioral goals. It equips patients with effective coping strategies and tools to prevent them from falling off the bandwagon.
How to choose the best rehabilitation facility?
Choosing a suitable rehab center for yourself or your loved one can be an overwhelming, confusing and challenging task. Here’s a quick look at the factors you need to consider when choosing a facility to ensure they meet your loved one’s specific needs and requirements.
- Only sign up with centers that have the relevant licenses, certificates, and accreditation. Make sure the facility has a Commission on Accreditation of Rehabilitation Facilities license. While searching for the facility online, make sure it shows up on LegitScript, as they have a vigorous vetting process and showcase only legitimate centers.
- Ensure that the center employs accredited clinical staff who have the required training and experience. Some of the typical credentials that such professionals should have include LADC, CAC, and CCDP.
- Treatment protocols that offer multidimensional and multidisciplinary support tend to produce the best results. Hence, look for facilities that involve treatment protocols that focus on the mind, body, and spirit. Such teams should have a healthy mix of doctors, nurses, psychologists, psychiatrists, nutritionists, and chemical-dependency counsellors.
- The most effective way of combating addiction is to rely on evidence-based practices. For instance, individuals can opt safely for centers that follow and practice drug-assisted therapies and cognitive behavioral therapy.
- Most people struggling with addiction also have to deal with various mental health issues. Hence, opt for centers that support and help with co-occurring mental health problems. Check up on the treatment success rate or outcome posted online by such centers to understand whether they can handle people with a dual diagnosis.
- Since enrolling in such programs can be expensive, make sure you check whether the facility accepts your insurance. Choosing in-network facilities will help make insurance and payment processing a lot easier and simpler.
- Lastly, make sure you consult with a medical professional before choosing to ensure it meets all your needs. Bring the matter up with your loved ones for additional support on your recovery journey and ensure you have someone to lean on during the treatment.
Hence, some of the questions you need to ask yourself and the technicians at the facility to determine the best one are as follows.
- What type of accreditation do they have?
- How much experience and certification does the clinical staff possess?
- Does the facility take a multidisciplinary approach to treatment?
- Ask them for their patient-to-counsellor ratio, detailed program itinerary, and list of evidence-based practices.
- What is the success rate of the treatment program offered?
- What insurance companies are you in-network with consistently?
- Can you provide supplemental mental health services?
Rehabilitation involves everything from notifying the underlying causes of your addiction to coping strategies to prevent relapse. Checking up on whether they provide support during your ongoing recovery is vital in ensuring you have the right environment post-treatment. Remember, the first step in overcoming your addiction is educating yourself regarding the various treatment options. Are you looking for details regarding drug addiction therapies? If so, follow this space for information regarding addiction treatment methodologies and their benefits.