Many students have difficulty with self-organization, timely completion of tasks, and, in general, efficiently studying at home. Indeed, given that we all experience stress due to sudden changes, which the switch to at-home education was for many young people, psychologists suggest giving yourself the opportunity to rest a bit and adapt. In addition, the learning process continues with the use of distance technologies, which places more responsibility for education on the students themselves. They now need to learn how to organize the learning process at home. We offer proven advice from professionals who have experience in home studying so that the student can be productive and involved in the learning process.
- Start the morning with physical activity. Psychologists note that the most important task in the morning is to start your day right. So, it is the level of our morning activity that gives the brain a signal about how to spend a day. It is very important to find your own ways of morning brain and body activation: exercise, dancing, yoga, getting out into the fresh air, etc. You can put on some nice tunes and work out with an added bonus, as music helps students beat stress.
- It is important that the student has their own space to complete the school tasks and write essays, a place that is well-adjusted for the learning process. They should also follow a daily routine, arrange regular breaks, and alternate between online learning and other learning activities.
- Sometimes it’s hard to start learning right away by yourself, so you can remind yourself, with the help of an alarm clock or nice music: “Remember, an online lesson with an English teacher should start in 30 minutes”. Or, set a reminder to “Start working on that essay you have been putting off”. If you find essay-writing challenging, try hiring a college essay writing service and get a solid result with minimum to no effort. This means that you will have one less task to worry about and can focus on the rest of your work.
- Dressing nicely even when studying from home is the advice that can often be found in the recommendations for successful learning at home. The fact is that even the process of changing clothes will help you get into a more productive mindset. Wearing certain clothes designed for learning can make it easier to switch from household chores to the learning process. Try to choose your own option. Maybe it will be a jacket or a skirt, or maybe just cozy clothes in which you will feel comfortable. The important thing is, your outfit should help you study more and leisure less while at home.
- The thought of having to complete a complex project or do all the tasks at once makes students procrastinate. After all, they often do not even know where to start, so they need to divide a pile of unfinished and planned cases into small tasks that can be solved one by one. Completing simple tasks and following a plan will give you the impetus to continue and complete things.
Focus more on learning, not on how to learn, because it will show that the learning process is more important than assessments, and the knowledge gained is a priority. You can also try something new, not just read the textbook while sitting on the couch. Try different study formats:
- watching video lectures;
- creation of projects;
- online conferences in Zoom, Skype, etc.;
- watching educational films;
- performing tasks on online platforms;
- conducting experiments;
- visiting online museums.
With so many strategies and tips, you can choose one that works for you or try a few of them and see if they work. But let’s emphasize that they will work best together because we understand how difficult self-organization is. But it is up to us to help ourselves become stronger and more organized.